To read more, click here!

Monday, March 16, 2015

Sir Elton, I DO love you, but you are so wrong

I have been an Elton John fan since God was a small child.  I have defended his right to dress in crazy costumes, wear outlandish shoes and glasses and perform in any way he sees fit.  I cried - CRIED - when I was 13 and the album Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy  came out and was somewhat panned by the critics.  I felt terrible.  I loved that album.  Still do.  Some other albums of his I have purchased two records, 2 or 3 cassette tapes, and am on my 2nd CD (I stepped on several accidentally).  I wore them out playing them.  EJ is about the only performer that I will pay 200.00 a ticket to have the pleasure to see in person.  Not once; not twice; but 3 times.  And I would go again.  I'm still trying to catch him at Madison Square Gardens and I live in Oklahoma.  Yes, I would pay that much to be there, plane ticket and all.  My youngest daughter and I made a pact that whichever of us dies first, we are to insist "Funeral For A Friend" is played at our service.  I even do the "Bennie and the Jets" arm wave IN MY CAR with people staring at me like I've lost my mind.  He's the greatest. I bored several people around me at his last concert I attended by telling them that his guitar player had been with him since dirt was invented.  I drew the pictures from his album covers when I was a teenager; my theme songs are "The Bitch is Back" and "I'm Still Standing," and at one point I wore the same style glasses he did (they didn't look good on either of us).   This isn't a passing phase in my life; I have literally been an Elton John fan for 40+ years. 

I was happy for EJ when he married.  I think if two people love each other, they should be able to publicly marry and live as happily as they can for the rest of their lives.  Good for you!  I think it is wonderful.

But - and it's a big one - I absolutely will not support you in your quest to boycott Dolce and Gabanna.  You see, you are WRONG.   ANYONE has the right to their opinion.  It matters not to me if you are a gay couple, that's not the problem.  But you so callously claim that IVF is ok and if a couple wants a child they should have one in any way they seek.  This is utterly selfish.  You HIRED and PAID a woman to have a child for you - two in fact.  You PURCHASED her womb.  That is vile and tragic.  All of you need to be smacked upside your heads.  What are you thinking?

Clearly, you aren't thinking about the children.  Will they have the best money can buy?  Yes. Will they travel, have things that the majority of people will never get?  Yes.  And, I'm sure you will love those children the best you can.

BUT - will they have their mother - their blood relatives.  NO.  And this is very wrong.  They will undoubtedly look in the mirror one day and wonder - where's the other half of me?  Have you not read stories that donor conceived children write?  Do you not care?  Or were you just so intent on having a child that it doesn't matter to you?  Children who grow up without their natural families suffer whether they have the best of everything or not.  They NEED that connection.  It's vitally important.  And you just blew it off and are trying to bring down those who disagree with you.  You, Sir Elton, are not above reproach.  You are just another baby-hungry person who wants what they want when they want it.  I am so disappointed. 

You have used your status and money in a way that many find extremely repulsive - me for one.  What is it with you icons that you feel you should get away with whatever floats your boat?  That you can do no wrong?   Well, you blew it this time.  BIG TIME.

I'm sad.  I feel like I just lost my best friend from childhood.  I guess I will take my Madison Square Garden money and buy a Dolce and Gabanna handbag or something.  Anything to support people who say what they feel, mean it, and have the absolute right to say it. I am horribly disappointed in you.  If you were one half of a heterosexual couple and said the things you did, I would feel the same way.  So go stomp your foot and make your stand.  We'll see exactly what tune you are singing in 20 years or so when your kids are grown and have minds of their own.    

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Thank you for articulating your position so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jackie. I thought I was the only one who was sick at heart when the man I had admired for so many years and his husband bought children. Equal rights for LGBT people cannot trump nature and the need of a child for his/her true origins. Some things, money just can't fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have loved Elton John for all those years. He lost my respect when he became a dad in this new technology way. And now that he shouts and pouts, well, he's dead and gone.

    I am very pleased that many people are now standing up to rally behind logic and reason and MOTHER nature - you are so right, Robin Westbrook: "Equal rights for LGBT people cannot trump nature and the need of a child for his/her true origins."

    Now we need to get Rosie O'Donnell, and her brother, New York State legislator, Danny O'Donnell, to accept the facts of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very name Rosie O'Donnell gives me the shivers. I wholeheartedly agree.

      Delete